The area of Las Cruces, New Mexico, was inhabited by the Mescalero Apache when Juan de Oñate claimed all territory north of the Rio Grande for New Spain in 1598. They governed the land until September 28, 1821, when the first Mexican Empire claimed ownership. The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848 established the United States as owner of this territory, and Las Cruces was founded in 1849 when the US Army laid out the town plans.
We are here to visit with friends who moved here from Maryland.
Rosewell, NM to Las Cruces, NM: 190.7 miles
4 hours 21 minutes