During the American Indian Wars of the 1830’s the United States built Fort Myers as one of the first forts along the Caloosahatchee River. It was used as a base of operations against the Seminole Indians. The Government abandoned the fort following the Civil War.
The Fort Myers community was founded by Confederate Captain Manuel A. Gonzalez on February 21, 1866. On August 12, 1885, the small town of Fort Myers—with 349 residents—was incorporated.
The city is named after Confederate Colonel Abraham Myers, a Jewish Americanarmy officer and a graduate of West Point, Class of 1833. He was descended from Rabbi Moses Cohen, an emigrant from London to Charleston, South Carolina.