Paseo del Río, or River Walk, is a network of walkways along the banks of the San Antonio River, one story beneath the streets of San Antonio.
In September 1921 a flood along the San Antonio River took 50 lives. Plans were then developed for flood control of the river. Work began on the Olmos Dam and bypass channel in 1926. So that is 5 years of bureaucratic talk.
Born in San Antonio on February 8, 1902, Robert Harvey Harold Hugman became an architect. In 1929 Hugman introduced a proposal called “The Shops of Aragon and Romula,” a beautification and flood-control plan for the heart of the city. It only took 10 years to get approval and funding, those bureaucrats, again. He was made project manager, and is now acknowledged as “the Father of the River Walk”.
The River Walk is 2.5 miles and is lined with hotels, restaurants, and a variety of shops.
Bridges allow you to get from one side to the other, and boat tours are available day and night.
We did walk the streets of Laredo
We also attended San Antonio, the Saga, which is a video art projected on the face of San Fernando Cathedral, in San Antonio.
After dark, laser light were displayed on the church facade