In the 17 & 1800’s The Great Comanche War trial came through this area. It was supported by a Spring named Comanche Springs, of course.
In 1859 to protect the Military Road from San Antonio across West Texas, the army was looking for an outpost between Fort Davis and Fort Lancaster. Comanche Springs provided the perfect location and on March 23, 1859, Fort Stockton was founded. It was named for Commodore Robert Field Stockton, a hero of the California phase of the Mexican War.
After abandoning the Fort to Confederate soldiers during the Civil War, who did not maintain it as it was too far West, the U.S. Army re-established Fort Stockton in July 1867 at the request of the settlements who wanted protection from raiding Indians. Garrisoned by four companies of the 9th U.S. Cavalry, Fort Stockton was home to the ex-slaves and black enlisted men known as Buffalo Soldiers. They got that name from the Indians who likened their hair to that of a buffalo’s neck and shoulders.
The Fort had no walls or parapets. Back in those days, there were no trees or brush around the fort, just wide-open prairie. You could see the dust of approaching riders from 10 miles away.
The U.S. Army abandoned the fort for good on June 26, 1886, when the frontier and Indian Wars moved west beyond Texas. The community that had sprung up around the fort in the late 1860s lived on, though, nourished by Comanche Springs.
This wagon was used in the John Wayne movies “The Comancheros” and “Undefeated”.
The town’s super-sized roadrunner mascot, Paisano Pete, although the roadrunner is the State Bird of New Mexico:
Ok, What is this?
Elmendorf, Texas to Fort Walton, Texas: 319.9
6 hours 2 minutes