Fort Nelson, was established in 1805 as a fur-trading post by The Northwest Trading Company. It was named for Horatio Nelson, the British Naval hero of the Battle of Trafalgar. There was never a fort here in the traditional sense, although in 1942 it was used as an airbase during the construction of the Alaska Highway.
Marl Brown grew up in Delburne, Alberta, Canada, and came north in 1957 to work as a mechanic for the Royal Canadian Army at Mile 245 of the Alaska Highway. He moved to Fort Nelson in 1957. He stayed here, helping to preserve and explain the history of the area. We visited with him in The Fort Nelson Heritage Museum where he shared with us his collection of cars and his experiences with the ALCAN.
Dawson Creek, British Columbia to Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada: 281.1 miles