Talkeetna, Alaska was established in 1916 when the Alaska Railroad chose the area to be a district headquarters. We will be taking one of their trains, the Hurricane Turn Train, tomorrow. The name comes from the Indian word meaning “Place where food is stored near the river”.
It has chosen to keep the town as close to what it was in 1916. Only Main Street is paved.
All the remaining dirt roads have pot holes and standing water from the recent rain.
Most of the buildings, which now have tourist shops, are the original log cabins.