Traveling from Chicken, Alaska, to Dawson City, Yukon Territory, we took the only road, the Top of The World Highway. It was 100 miles of dirt road through the mountains. It really was the “Top of the World”.
We came across a heard of caribou.
We then had to stop as a bear meandered down the road.
Arriving at the Yukon River, we found there was no bridge to cross the river. We had to floated the truck and the Sphinx on a ferry to get to Dawson City on the other side.
On August 16, 1896 prospector George Carmack stumbles across gold while salmon fishing along the Klondike River in the Yukon, starting the Klondike Gold Rush.
Joseph Francis Ladue was born July 28, 1855 in Schuyler Falls, New York. On August 19, 1896, a few days after the discovery of gold in the Klondike, he staked a claim to 160 acres of boggy flats at the mouth of the Klondike River as a townsite. In January 1897, he named the new town Dawson, after Canadian geologist George Mercer Dawson. Dawson Creek, British Columbia (Day 683), was also named for him.
Dawson City became the hub for those arriving to search for gold. Shortly thereafter, the North West Mounted Police arrived to maintain law and order. The first thing the Government did was construct an elaborate government building. This building was constructed to show the United States that Dawson City belonged to the British Empire. The boundary line between Alaska and the Yukon had not yet been drawn.
Dawson was incorporated as a city in 1902. Today, over 116 years later, the streets are still dirt,
and the sidewalks are still boards.
All and all, it was an uneventful day.
Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon Territory: 110.5 miles