When Lewis Fidler returned to Goshen Indiana after serving in the Navy during World War II, he opened up a filling station. He made a decent living, but the nearby land proved to be more valuable. He purchased the land intending to sell it to developers, but used it to start a sand and gravel business.
Then in 1955, Fidler bought a ready-mix concrete company, followed by a concrete block company. Taking the gravel from the ground create a huge pit, which filled with water and today is called Fidler Pond, after being purchased by the city of Goshen for $550,000. The city turned the land into Fidler Pond Park, opening Labor Day, 2013.
Today’s hike took us around the pond.
The pond, at its deepest, is 69 feet.
This is the same turtle we saw at Goshen Millrace. He must have followed us here.