Life is like ice cream, enjoy it before it melts.
New Market, Virginia, is located at the foot of the Massanutten Mountains in the Shenandoah Valley. Settlers first discovered the area in 1727. Many of those settlers were Germans of the Mennonite and Lutheran faiths, later joined by Scots and Irish. Originally known as Cross Roads, the town was officially established as New Market on December 14, 1796 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly.
The Town is basically one long road.
A walking tour enabled us to see some of the original homes and buildings, like the Henkel House built in 1802, it has been used as a grocery store since 1835.
A member of the Clinedinst family has lived in this house since it was built in 1882.
The Calvert House was built in 1770 and is still owned by the Calvert family, whom are decedents of George Calvert, Lord Baltimore, to whom the King of England gave Maryland. (So why is his family living in Virginia?)
Dr. Solomon Henkel, a physician and druggist, built this house in 1802.
It is noteworthy because a metal plate on the door covers damage done by Yankee bayonets and rifle butts when they tried breaking into the house after having hot water thrown on them from an upstairs window during the civil war.
The original town pump was built in 1811, of which this is a replica. Why didn’t they just use the kitchen sink?
The Confederacy is still pretty much alive in New Market.