Patrick Dennis Bowlen, born February 18, 1944, is the majority owner of the Denver Broncos. The Bowlen Family, including his two brothers, John Bowlen and Bill Bowlen, and sister Marybeth Bowlen, purchased the team from Edgar Kaiser in 1984.
On March 5, 1990, the Denver Broncos moved into the Paul D. Bowlen Memorial Broncos Centre, their state-of-the-art headquarters, named after Pat Bowlen’s father.
The Bronco’s training facility is situated on 13.5 acres in Centennial, Colorado, and also includes an administrative building and three outdoor full-size fields. The indoor field house was built in November, 2013.
The two-story 90,000 square foot Denver Broncos headquarters, Paul D. Bowlen Memorial Broncos Centre, is now known as the The Pat Bowlen Fieldhouse, naming the entire complex the UCHealth Training Center.
This premier facility includes the Bronco’s Conditioning Center, which houses the team’s 9,000 square foot weight room and 18,000 square foot indoor conditioning area. Denver has invested more than $45 million in their facility over the past 5 years, including 9.5 million last year.
Aurora, Colorado, originated in 1890 as the town of Fletcher, taking its name from Denver businessman Donald George Fletcher, born September 29, 1849 in Ontario, Canada, who saw it as a real estate opportunity. He and his partners staked out four square miles on the plains east of Denver, around Colfax Avenue, but the town struggled mightily after the Silver Crash of 1893. At that point Fletcher skipped town, leaving the community with a huge water debt. Inhabitants decided to rename the town Aurora in 1907.
Colfax Avenue is the main street that runs east–west through the Denver metropolitan area in Colorado. The street was named for politician Schuyler Colfax, born March 23, 1823 in New York City, who co-founded the Republican Party on March 20, 1854. Colfax Avenue has been a transportation and business corridor for the Denver area since 1870. It became Aurora’s Main Street, and continues to be an important thread in the city’s commercial life.
Trinidad was first explored by Spanish and Mexican traders, who liked its proximity to the Santa Fe Trail. It was founded in 1862 by Felipe Baca (no relation to Elfego Baca, the man with 9 lives). The Santa Fe Trail’s Mountain Route passed through Trinidad, along the Purgatoire River, and over Raton Pass. Trinidad had its beginnings as a Santa Fe Trail campsite.
In 1900 the streets were paved with brick with Trinidad’s name engraved on each.
Went to the 1903 El Paso County Courthouse located in Colorado Springs. It ceased to be a courthouse in 1973 when a new updated one was built. It now houses the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, which exhibits the history of Colorado Springs.
This Otis Birdcage Elevator was built in 1913. When this building was a Courthouse it was operated by a staff person. Today Barbara took us downstairs.
First, there are no springs in Colorado Springs. There were, in it’s heyday, numerous sanitariums treating consumption, now known as tuberculosis.
William Jackson Palmer, born September 18, 1836, was an American civil engineer, soldier, industrialist, and philanthropist. During the Civil War, he was a Brigadier General and a Medal of Honor recipient.
Palmer came to the Colorado Territory as a surveyor with the Kansas Pacific Railway in search of possible railroad routes. On July 31, 1871, Palmer founded Colorado Springs as a resort town at the base of Pikes Peak
People came to Colorado for the restorative benefits of its “clean air and sunshine.” Starting in the 1860s, when tuberculosis (TB) was a worldwide problem, physicians in the eastern United States recommended that their patients go to Colorado to regain their health. Tuberculosis was called consumption “because its symptoms consumed those who had it”.
The climate and mountain setting made it a popular tourist destination and health resort. A dry climate supported resorts for people with weak lungs or tuberculosis, including the Colorado Springs sanatoria.
A sanatorium is a medical facility for long-term illness, most typically associated with treatment of tuberculosis in the late-nineteenth and twentieth century before the discovery of antibiotics. In the 1880s and 1890s, it is estimated that one-third of the people living in Colorado Springs had tuberculosis.
I have a feeling we are not in Kansas anymore. In fact we are in Colorado, at the John Martin Reservoir State Park, on the Santa Fe Trail. With a population of about 150 people, it was named to honor Lon Hasty, a pioneer settler. There is nothing here but the State Park and Trail.
So, we walked part of it.
The French explorer Pedro Vial pioneered the route in 1792 for transportation, and the Santa Fe Trail was established in 1828 to take advantage of new trade opportunities with Mexico, which had just won independence from Spain. The trail connected Independence, Missouri with Santa Fe, New Mexico.
After hiking a while you come to Bent’s Fort.
It was not meant to be a fort at all, but a trading post. At this time, 1833, the Santa Fe Trail was only used by trappers, Indians, and Mexicans looking to trade with each other.
William Wells Bent was born May 23, 1809 in St. Louis, Missouri. He was a fur trapper and trader. In 1833, he and his brothers built this trading post (fort) on the Arkansas river, which from 1819 to 1847 was the boundary line between the United States and Mexico.
From 1833 to 1849, the fort was a stopping point along the Santa Fe Trail. It was the only permanent settlement not under the jurisdiction and control of Indians or Mexicans.
As we approached Bent’s Fort, we were greeted by free roaming cattle.
Barbara still goes for those guys in uniform. The fort was built of adobe clay, which was made on the spot.
The Fort was well stocked
With fur traders laying out their stuff
Dodge City, Kansas to Hasty, Colorado: 176.5 miles