In 1869 the Detroit, Hillsdale and Indiana Railway right-of-way passed over two pieces of vacant land on the western edge of Somerset Township in Michigan. One piece belonged to Jerome Smith and the other to Mary Begel. Filled with ambition as a result of the importance of railroads at that time, the two planned the village of Jerome so that it straddled their properties and the right-of-way. The railroad established its Jerome station before the plat of the village was even filed.
We visited with friends in Jerome, who have a lake house there.